wow. I am here! after months of anticipation, it is finally here! my flights went well. it was hard to leave mom and dad but I just thought about what was ahead of me. I started freaking out a bit when the flight from Miami took off, but I soothed my fears with some Brett dennen and willy mason.
I met up wih gene before the flight so we headed through customs and immigration together. I'm still not used to speaking Spanish all the time but with literally everyone speaking it, I'm sure I'll catch on. a few other students met us and we went to a hotel in northern Managua. it's very nice and the staff is hospitable.
we ventured out to a mall down the street for lunch. there were so many American stores and signs in English. just shows how powerful our influence is over other countries. on many o the walls people had spraypainted "viva la revolucion". everything that I've read about is slowly comng to life.
there are loads of mountains in the distance and everything is very dry like Peru was. we flew over the huge lake outside of Managua (it was a lot dirtier than I imagined). but the streets are similar to the other places i've been. there are lots of crazy drivers on the roads, strong smells everywhere, and vendors selling jewelry or crafts. the buildings are colorfully painted and covered with tin roofs. most are gated. the weather is beautiful and hot but still enjoyable. I sat outside in our courtyard today and read for a bit... under a mango tree! :)
sorry for the poor spelling and brevity, but I wanted to take advantage of the hotels internet. well be starting orientation tomorrow and I'm sure they will be keeping us busy.
lots of love, cass
we just finished dinner, played some bananagrams :) and are now watching telenovelas haha while we wait for the rest of the crew to arrive.
7 years ago

1 comment:
You've been independent since you could walk! "Cassie, let me help you" and you'd reply at a young 3 years old, "self". Yesterday Dad wanted to carry your heavy hiking pack and there was my little girl again, "self!"
I had mixed emotions as we watched you leave. Excitement for what was ahead for you, but sadness that I wouldn't be seeing you for awhile. Part of me wanted you to look back, but if you had, surely the tears would have flowed.
I'm glad you met up with Gene at the airport and I know your homestay family is going to welcome you and love you.
Bananagrams? :-) ha
Thank you for describing your surroundings. It's comforting to hear from you and know you are enjoying yourself and relaxing. Perfect spot for you, under a mango tree.
Enjoy and take loads of photos, put yourself in some, can't wait to see them.
Love you, happy for you! Beware of the bookworm. :-)
Oh, you go away and I get flowers :-) My friend Diane thought I might need some cheering up. She's so sweet. I was fine, but I love the flowers.
Post a Comment